Following the sack of over 1,000 workers of the Ekiti State University, Nigerians have reacted.
Nigerians on social media have reacted after the governing council of Ekiti State University (EKSU) sacked over 1000 staff after a staff audit exercise.
The decision was made public by the university's public relations officer on behalf of the school's governing council.
In a release by the University Public Relations Officer, the Governing Council noted the findings contained in the Report of the External Staff Auditors that:
(1) over 600 workers were employed irregularly against university regulations within the period 2016-2018 thereby causing a major personnel disalignment and skyrocketing of the university wage bill by about 100% within two years. The situation was so bad in the university that it was the monthly contributions of members of staff who belong to some Cooperative, Thrift and Credit Societies in the University that were partly and on a monthly basis used by the then university administration to pay the salaries of those that were irregularly employed and who interestingly refused to join any of the Cooperative, Thrifts and Credit Societies.
(2) 228 members of staff could not produce/show evidence of Primary School Leaving Certificate
(3) there were some ghost workers whose names were found on the university pay roll without being on the university nominal role.
(4) some members of staff presented falsified birth and educational certificates.
(5) some of the members of staff lacked the required basic educational qualification.
(6) some members of staff were illegally retained in the university services after having been due to retire.
(7) there are other cases of over aged staff.
(8) some others lacked the required basic educational qualification.
Consequently after due consideration of the issues involved, and the overall best interest of the university in being properly positioned for local relevance and global competitiveness, the Governing Council of Ekiti State University has directed that those who were found to have fallen into the categories listed in 1-8 above be disengaged of their appointments forthwith in accordance with the university regulations.
Public Relations Officer,
Ekiti State University