The 1.6 kilometres long bridge estimated to cost 336 Billion, links Anambra and Delta states.
The Second Niger Bridge has been officially handed over to the Federal Government.
Contractor of the Second Niger Bridge, Julius Berger handed over the 1.6 kilometres long bridge estimated to cost 336 Billion to FG over the weekend.
The bridge links Anambra and Delta states.
The project was launched on May 23, 2023, but, there were ancillary roads and other construction works that needed to be done after the inauguration.
In a short ceremony held at the toll area of the bridge over the weekend, Minister of Works Dave Umahi expressed approval of the project.
Umahi said that the bridge is open to concession for any private company prepared to finish all associated roads, handle toll collection, and recover their investments.
“The roads are going to be completed when we have completed the two interchanges: one is taking us off from Asaba town to cut off the traffic, and the other one is going to be done by Reynolds Construction Company Ltd to avoid Onitsha town and take you straight to Obosi,” he said.
For his part, the Managing Director, of Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, Lars Richter, said the handover was just a technical one.
“The Main Second Niger Bridge has been completed. The toll stations are also ready for use,” Lars said.
The idea of constructing the Second Niger Bridge emerged in 1978/79, with Shehu Shagari, then a candidate for the National Party of Nigeria (NPN), championing the proposal. Other governments have since then tried to start, but didnt go ahead.
The bridge opened for local traffic on December 15, 2022. To accommodate the ongoing construction of connecting roads, temporary routes have been established, ensuring the bridge’s accessibility during the Christmas holidays. Currently, there are no toll fees for crossing the bridge.