Former Labour Party presidential candidate and prominent member of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Peter Obi, has faulted President Bola Tinubu over what he described as the government’s inability to ensure stable electricity supply for Nigerians.
In a statement released on his X handle, the former Anambra State governor reminded Tinubu of his campaign promise to deliver steady electricity within four years in government.
“Thirty-two months after being incharge and instead of living by his powerful words, he now dumps National Grid that has been performing abysmally under his watch,” he wrote.
He said the plan by the Tinubu administration to disconnect the Presidential Villa from the national grid is concerning.
“Yet, while Nigerians are still grappling with that unfulfilled, categorical electoral promise – and without clear communication on the obstacles, if any, we read of provision in 2025 budget about the N10 billion for solar power at Aso Rock, and in 2026 budget another humongous amount for upgrade and maintenance and now we are being scarcitically told that Presidential Villa has planned to be disconnected from the national grid to rely entirely on solar.
It is a gross neglect and deeply worrisome when the seat of power abandons the national grid. One would expect government institutions to lead efforts to strengthen and expand the grid so that other establishments, and ultimately, citizens can benefit.
If those in authority disconnect themselves from the system, who then will connect the ordinary Nigerian to reliable power?”
While acknowledging that renewable energy solutions like solar power are important for the country’s future, Obi said the move sends the wrong signal about leadership and accountability.
“Promoting renewable energy, as solar systems do, is commendable and necessary for the future. However, this situation reflects a deeper concern: governance lacking compassion and commitment to the governed. You cannot tell the people to fast while feasting yourself, securing yourself while Nigerians remain unsecured.
Nigerians do not expect 100% fulfilment of promises, but they do expect 100% effort, accompanied by measurable improvements and clear explanations when gaps exist. Leadership must serve the people, not isolate itself from their daily struggles,” he added.
Last year, the Federal Government commenced the construction of a N10 billion solar mini-grid project to power the Aso Rock, a development that shows both a shift towards renewable energy and a deepening lack of confidence in Nigeria’s ailing national electricity grid.
“If I do not provide steady electricity in four years, do not vote for me for 2nd Tenure,” -BAT
— Peter Obi (@PeterObi) February 16, 2026
Thirty-two months after being incharge and instead of living by his powerful words, he now dumps National Grid that has been performing abysmally under his watch.
Those were the…