Scene of the incident
According to a report by The PUNCH, an infant and two other persons were on Wednesday burnt to death in a fire incident in Abeokuta, Ogun State.
It was gathered that the incident occurred at Oke-Egunya along the NTA Road in the state capital.
An eyewitness told PUNCH Metro that the fire started around 3.15pm following a gas explosion.
The source explained that a technician had visited a house in the area to service a faulty refrigerator.
“In the process of topping up the gas of the refrigerator, there was an attraction of fire from someone cooking, which resulted in an explosion,” the eyewitness stated.
When contacted, the Director of Fire Service in the state, Fatai Adefala, confirmed the incident.
Adefala said his men received a distress call and raced to the scene to extinguish the fire.
He stated that three persons were burnt to death as they could not escape from the scene.
Adefala said, “We received a distress call around 3.15pm from Oke-Igbore. We learnt that there was a spark of fire. On getting there, we discovered that it was a gas explosion.
“What really happened was that they were cooking outside with fire and unfortunately, the gas exploded. They were trying to refill the gas of the refrigerator and in the process, it exploded.
“Three lives were lost and one infant was among the dead. For now, the bodies are still lying there. It was an old building.
“Our men are still at the scene together with the personnel of the police, the DSS and others.”