Get Latest Tori News Alert!
Enter your email below.

Delivered by FeedBurner





Hot Stories
Recent Stories

Boko Haram Fighter Who Kidnapped Chibok Girls Sentenced To 20 Year In Maximum Prison

Posted by George on Fri 13th Jul, 2018 - tori.ng

A Boko Haram fighter who was among those who kidnapped the Chibok schoolgirls, has been handed his punishment in court.

 File photo: Boko Haram and Chibok girls
 
According to a report by TheCable, the special court designated to try terrorism cases in Niger state has sentenced one Banzana Yusuf, a Boko Haram member, to 20 years imprisonment for “planning” the kidnap of 276 female students from Chibok, Borno state, in 2014.

The abduction sparked global attention, with celebrities, influential personalities and activists across the world demanding the release of the innocent girls.

More than 100 of the girls are yet to be released while the government secured the freedom of some.

The court also sentenced 112 Boko Haram members to various jail terms.

They were arraigned by the federal government on various counts bordering on concealment of information to security agencies, providing support to the sect and participating in acts of terrorism which resulted in the deaths of many persons.

One Adamu Mohammed, 22, was charged with the murder of six people as well as planting a bomb at a market place.

Mohammed admitted to killing six persons through the use of a short gun.

He was sentenced to 25 full calendar years with hard labour in a maximum prison and without an option of fine.

One Kabiru Mohammed who was accused of receiving training in the use of explosive and other terrorism items bagged 30 years imprisonment after pleading guilty to a seven-count charge.

He was said to have participated in a series of attacks in Bama, Kunduga, Baga in Borno and Damaturu in Yobe which resulted to the loss of many lives in the two states.

Sabo Kyari Mohammed, who was described by the Department of State Service (DSS) as a “strong member of Boko Haram” bagged a full five-year jail term.

Mohammed was said to have provided surveillance for the group and participating in the attack known as “operation point and kill” in his village, Musau in Borno state.

One Zainab Idris, said to be a wife of Babawo Idris, a Boko Haram commander, was released by the court.

The judge said Zainab had already served her jail term since she was arrested in 2014. She was arrested with two children while on her way to join her husband in Sambisa forest.

The court heard over 100 cases between Monday and Tuesday.



Top Stories
Popular Stories


Stories from this Category
Recent Stories