The High Commission
President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana has called his Nigerian counterpart to apologise over the demolition of a building at the Nigerian commission in Accra.
It had earlier been reported that armed men invaded the commission on Friday, demolishing some apartments that were under construction.
In reaction to the development, the Ghanaian government had said perpetrators of the act would be punished.
In a statement on Tuesday, Garba Shehu, senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, said Akufo-Addo spoke with President Muhammadu Buhari over the phone on Tuesday.
“President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana Tuesday spoke with President Muhammadu Buhari, expressing his sincere apology for demolition of a building on the premises of Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana,” he said.
“In a telephone call, the Ghanaian leader told President Buhari that he has directed full investigation into the incident.
“Earlier in the day, it further emerged that some suspects had been arrested, and will be arraigned in court.”
A Ghanaian monarch had accused the Nigerian high commission of trespassing on the plot of land which he said belongs to his people.