National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has reacted to the widespread claims that serving corps members will be deployed to the Niger Republic.
Last month, Niger soldiers announced the removal of President Mohamed Bazoum from office in a coup.
The soldiers said they have dissolved the constitution, suspended all institutions, closed the country’s borders, and held the president hostage.
However, a video circulating on social media alleged that corps members would be deployed to fight a war for the restoration of democracy in the country.
In a statement on Saturday, Eddy Megwa, NYSC director of press, said the information is false.
Megwa said corps members and their parents should disregard the information, which he described as capable of subverting the peace of the nation.
“The attention of NYSC management has been drawn to a video circulating on social media alleging that corps members would be deployed to the Niger Republic by the Federal Government to fight a war for the restoration of democracy in the country,” the statement reads.
“Management wishes to state that there is no iota of truth in the story fabricated by the purveyor, a skit and content creator, purposed to drive traffic to his platform.
“The general public, especially corps members, prospective corps members and their parents should disregard the story which borders on criminality in its entirety.
“Content and skit makers are strongly advised to desist from spreading false information capable of subverting the peace of the nation.
“Law enforcement agencies will stop at nothing to bring the purveyors of the story to justice.”