Daily News Alert
Enter your email below.





Hot Stories
Recent Stories

How I Was Abducted From Courtroom Under Democracy – Sowore Shares Arrest Experiences

Posted by Samuel on Sat 21st Feb, 2026 - tori.ng

He stated this during an appearance on Channels Television’s Inside Sources programme on Friday.

 Omoyele Sowore

Human rights activist and politician, Omoyele Sowore, has revealed that he is currently dealing with about nine ongoing court cases instituted against him by the Federal Government and the police.

He stated this during an appearance on Channels Television’s Inside Sources programme on Friday.

According to the 2023 presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), he has endured more arrests under Nigeria’s democratic governments than during military rule.

Sowore recalled that he was arrested only twice under the military, which he said is far fewer than his experiences under the current democratic dispensation.

He said, “I have suffered more arrests in 2025 than I did between 1989 and 1996, when I graduated from university. I was arrested by the DSS once, even though we fought the military, maybe twice.

“When I was at the University of Lagos, I was abducted and detained for about two weeks. Later, during my NYSC in Yola, I was arrested and held for a week without a court order. But since civilian rule began, I have spent months in detention, I spent five months in DSS custody and was even abducted from a courtroom under democracy.”

Meanwhile, the Federal High Court in Lagos on Friday declared that the Nigerian police acted illegally by designating Sowore, a wanted person, in 2025.

Justice Musa Kakaaki awarded ₦30 million in damages against the Nigeria Police Force, the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, and the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Moshood Jimoh, for unlawfully pronouncing Sowore wanted.

According to details of the judgment shared by Sowore’s counsel, the court held that no Nigerian can be criminalised for speaking, protesting, or holding the government accountable.

Jimoh had, on November 3, 2025, publicly declared Sowore wanted for allegedly attempting to lead a protest on the Third Mainland Bridge over the demolition of poor settlements in Oworonshoki, Lagos.

Earlier in October 2025, the police commissioner had also ordered the activist and former presidential candidate to stay away from Lagos.

Dissatisfied with the pronouncement, Sowore instituted a suit against the commissioner, the IGP, and the police.

In the suit, he sought enforcement of his fundamental rights to dignity, liberty, freedom of movement, expression, and peaceful assembly as guaranteed under the Nigerian Constitution and the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.

In an affidavit, Sowore maintained that the police declared him wanted without prior invitation, warrant, or formal charge.

Through his team of lawyers led by Tope Temokun, he argued that the action damaged his reputation and impaired his constitutional rights. He added that he would have honoured any lawful invitation extended to him.

Sowore prayed the court to restrain the police from harassing, intimidating, or arresting him and to set aside the declaration. He also sought ₦500 million in general and exemplary damages.

The police opposed the suit, insisting that Jimoh had the authority to declare Sowore wanted.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on November 5, 2025, Jimoh said the declaration remained in force and alleged that Sowore failed to report to the State Criminal Investigation Department in Yaba as agreed by his lawyer.

“My declaration that Sowore is wanted is still in force,” he said at the time.

He also dismissed allegations that the IGP ordered Sowore to be “shot on sight,” describing the claim as misinformation.



Top Stories


Stories from this Category
Recent Stories