An employee of Ikeja Electric (IE) distribution company simply identified as Afeez yesterday lost his arm after being electrocuted in Igbogbo area of Ikorodu, Lagos State, The Guardian reports.
Afeez in company of other workers of the power firm was in Igbogbo to disconnect customers defaulting in payment of their electricity bills.
According to an eyewitness, who gave his name as Godspower, Afeez had disconnected power from a pole before being electrocuted while descending the ladder.
“He had already disconnected power from a pole around Oba’s place before coming to the pole at Club 24. He had finished up there and was about to descend when he got electrocuted. Suddenly, power was restored and in the same instant, the energized cable cut off his hand,” Godspower told The Guardian.
He added that Afeez fell from the ladder immediately after the electrocution while his hand still hung on the pole.
“After he fell down, his hand was still on the pole and he was rushed to a nearby hospital where he passed out, but was later recovered.”
Confirming the incident, an official of Ikeja Electric at the headquarters in Alausa said the man is not dead and is responding well to treatment at the hospital, adding that an enquiry had been on the incident to prevent its reoccurrence.