A Nigerian footballer has left many people in shock after he slumped and died on Sunday during a match.
A Nigerian footballer and player of Nasarawa United, Chineme Martins has died.
He died yesterday (Sunday) after slumping in their Nigeria Professional Football League tie against Katsina United in Lafia.
An eyewitness, who was at the Lafia Township Stadium, said the late defender was standing alone when he slumped around the 45th minute.
“His team had been awarded a free-kick and he was standing alone in their own half when he suddenly collapsed.
“Other players informed the referee and he was eventually rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead,” he told The PUNCH.
The League Management Company also confirmed the dead in a statement.
“We commiserate with Nasarawa United and the immediate family of the late player,” LMC Chairman Shehu Dikko said.
Meanwhile Cool FM Sportscaster, Buchi who also confirmed the incident, claimed that there was no medical team at the stadium where the football match was played in.
According to Buchi, the late Nasarawa United player was rushed to the hospital in a press crew vehicle.
– Chieme Martins of Nassarawa United has died after a collision with a Katsina Utd player earlier today in the NPFL.
– Nassarawa United Players Crying
– Player was rushed to the hospital and died there.
– No Medical Attention at the Stadium!! Like no Ambulance in an official NPFL game
– Player was rushed to the Hospital in a press Crew Vehicle in 2020
– R.I.P Chieme Martins
Your club and the League failed you.
Watch video below: