Photo credit: The Nation
The Federal Government has condemned in strong terms the demolition of the Nigerian High Commissioner residence in Accra, Ghana.
Some armed men had invaded the Nigerian High commission in Accra, Ghana on Friday, destroying some apartments under construction.
The affected buildings were reportedly being constructed to house staff and visitors.
A Ghanaian businessman had accused the commission of encroaching on his land.
He was said to have visited the place last week, presenting evidence as real owner of the land.
However, he reportedly returned to the site on Friday in the company of armed men, who supervised the demolition.
Officials of the commission reportedly contacted the police but efforts were not made to prevent the demolition.
Reacting on the issue, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Geoffrey Onyeama condemned the act.
Onyeama, in a terse statement, however said Nigeria was already engaging the Ghanaian government on the issue.
The Minister stated: “We strongly condemn two outrageous criminal attacks in Accra, Ghana, on a residential building in our diplomatic premises by unknown persons in which a bulldozer was used to demolish the building. We are engaging the Ghanaian Government and demand urgent action to find the perpetrators and provide adequate protection for Nigerians and their property in Ghana.”