Nigeria’s secret police, Department of State Services (DSS) has made a startling discovery in Abuja.
The DSS allegedly uncovered boxes of explosives in an estate located in the Lugbe area of the Federal Capital Territory.
It was learnt that two pistols were also recovered from an apartment rented by an alleged terrorist at Trademore Estate in the capital city.
This is contained in a notice issued by the management of the estate to residents on Wednesday, urging them to be vigilant.
The management advised residents to report any suspicious movements, persons or activities to its executives, street representatives or the police.
The statement reads, "Good Evening Fellow residents, it's no longer News that there was a High Powered Sting Operation in Phase 3 this afternoon, culminating in a complete shutdown of our estate. A combination of American Army and our DSS team were responsible.
"We are unable to give full details of the reason(s) behind the operation, however, we can confirm that there was an allegation of terrorist activities.
"It is therefore desperately incumbent on every resident to remain vigilant, KNOW YOUR NEIGHBOURS and report any suspicious movement, person or activities to the Exco, Street Reps and/the Police.
"We will continue to do our utmost best to keep the estate safe for all of us. Everyone is responsible for security and there should no iota of abdication of this responsibility.
"Finally, let's remain calm and continue to carry out our daily activities within the parameters of the Law.
"God bless and protect us all.
"Servant Chair. On behalf of the EXCO.”
However, one of the residents of the estate told SaharaReporters that security officers had been searching vehicles at random in some parts of the neighbourhood, which he described as unprecedented.
"I heard they found some boxes with explosives, and there have been 'stop and check' in some areas of the estate,” the resident said.
The spokesman for the DSS, Dr Peter Afunanya, neither denied nor confirmed the incident when contacted by SaharaReporters.
Later, he sent a message saying, "I have no brief on this. Maybe, you could ask the others you claimed were involved in the operation. Thanks, please."
This comes a few days after the US warned its citizens about the possibility of terror attacks in Nigeria’s capital city.
In the security advisory posted on its website, the US Embassy said the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) stands a high risk of attack.
It said terrorists may target government buildings, places of worship, schools and markets.
It said, "There is an elevated risk of terror attacks in Nigeria, specifically in Abuja. Targets may include but are not limited to, government buildings, places of worship, schools, markets, shopping malls, hotels, bars, restaurants, athletic gatherings, transport terminals, law enforcement facilities, and international organizations. The U.S. Embassy will offer reduced services until further notice."
It advised American citizens to avoid all non-essential travel and movement, among others.
"Avoid all non-essential travel or movement. Stay alert. Avoid crowds. Review your personal security plans and keep your cell phone charged in case of emergency. Carry proper identification," it added.