On Friday, November 187, the Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna State, announced the promotion of Lt. Col. Abubakar-Surajo Imam to the rank of a Professor of Mechatronics Engineering.
The development was disclosed in a statement by the Registrar, NDA, Brig.-Gen. A.M. Tukur in Kaduna.
He said, “This recognition not only honours Professor Imam but also highlights the commitment of the Nigerian Defence Academy to acknowledging and rewarding outstanding contributions within its academic community.”
In this piece, PUNCH Online highlights the profile of Imam, the first professor among serving personnel in the history of the Nigerian Army.
1. Imam is an indigene of Kankia in Katsina State.
2. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from Bayero University, Kano State.
3. After his MSc degree, Imam proceeded to Newcastle University, United Kingdom, where he obtained his Master’s degree in Mechatronics and a Doctorate degree in Mechatronics and Robotics.
4. Having joined the Nigerian Army as a member of the Short Service Combatant Course 32, Imam was assigned to the Nigerian Army Corps of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.
5. Imam later converted to the Regular Commission and served in numerous units including 1 Base Workshop, Technical Group EME, HQ Nigerian Army Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Corps, and DICON.
6. He spearheaded the founding of the NDA Department of Mechatronic Engineering and the establishment of the Centre for Innovation and Creativity. In his position, he currently serves as the Head, Department of Mechatronics Engineering and Director, Centre for Innovation and Creativity at the NDA.
7. Imam is also a researcher with the Air Force Institute of Technology, Kaduna; Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria; and the Aliko Dangote University of Science and Technology, Wudil, Kano State; the Defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria, amongst others.
8. He is an Examiner and Member, Central Selection Committee for Master and Ph.D. candidates being sponsored by the Petroleum Technology Development Fund.
9. Imam has published several books covering Mechatronics; PIC Microcontrollers; Embedded Systems Design; Sensors and Actuators for Embedded Systems; Coding, Robotics and Drone technology for Kids; and Field Manuals for Drone Technology, among others.
10. The new professor has attended over 40 international workshops and numerous seminars and presented papers at several conferences in the United Kingdom, Spain, Egypt and the United States of America.