Makinde, few days after raising the alarm, issued two-day ultimatum to the aides of the former Governor to return the government's property.
Immediate past Governor, Mr. Abiola Ajimobi.
The Oyo State Government on Thursday confirmed the recovery of 14 vehicles taken away by officials in the government of the immediate past Governor, Mr. Abiola Ajimobi.
DAILY POST recalls that Governor Seyi Makinde of the state, through his Chief of Staff, Mr. Bisi Ilaka, had earlier in June, raised the alarm that many vehicles belonging to the state government have been taken away by the former Governor and his aides.
Makinde, few days after raising the alarm, issued two-day ultimatum to the aides of the former Governor to return the government’s property.
DAILY POST, however, gathered on Thursday, that no fewer than fourteen vehicles have been retuned to the state government by those who served Ajimobi in the last administration.
It was further learnt that the recovery followed expiration of the ultimatum given to officials of the last administration by Governor Seyi Makinde. The Chief Press Secretary to Makinde, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, confirmed the recovered vehicles to journalists on Thursday.
Adisa was quick to add that 13 of the recovered vehicles had been vandalised while only one was in good condition. He said, some of the vehicles were retrieved from mechanics while others were recovered from some residences, and one abandoned close to Agodi government house.
He said, “Career officers made phone calls to some officials in custody of government vehicles, after their phone numbers were supplied.
“Some of them responded and gave address of locations where the vehicles were recovered. Some were in the mechanic workshops, others were tracked with device and recovered.
“Surprisingly too, one was parked and abandoned at a road near Agodi government house where security agents were alerted. They went there to tow it to the government house. 13 of the recovered vehicles are not working as they had been vandalised one way or the other.
“They completely ran them down for reasons best known to them. The recovered vehicles are still far cry from those taken away because if just an official made away with 11 vehicles, you can imagine how many vehicles are still in their possession?
“Investigation is still on to ascertain those vehicles bought in the last one year and which are still missing. And there is no record of payment for those either purchased or boarded by the said officials. They can be accused of car theft especially if you are in custody of a vehicle without receipts of purchase.”