According to The Nation, a mild drama played out on Sunday at Life Camp District of Abuja where one of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) COVID-19 Mobile Courts was sitting.
Confusion started when some alleged uniformed personnel obstructed the proceedings of a Mobile Court, insisting a taxi driver, who was arrested and brought to the court for overloading his car against social distancing directives, will not be tried by the magistrate.
Leader of FCT Ministerial Enforcement Task Team on COVID-19, Ikharo Attah, who confirmed this, stated the alleged assailants took to their heels when they noticed the reinforcement contingent of the team was arriving the court location.
Attah, who warned that FCT Administration would not tolerate rascality of any kind from any group of persons, also revealed that the Mobile Courts have so far convicted over 9,000 violators of COVID-19 restrictions orders.
He explained that the convicts paid various fines with supervised community services as sentences for their offences, while others who were found to be innocent were duly acquitted and discharged.
He said: “We got information that some acclaimed uniform personnels were obstructing the proceedings of a mobile court at Life Camp. As we were approaching the location, the said personnels left the taxi driver and fled.
“The magistrates in the courts need all the support from Enforcement officers to dispense justice. He warned that the FCT administration would deal decisively with anyone who attempt to make the court vicinity uncomfortable for the dispensation of justice”.
“so far over 9,000 persons have been convicted by the mobile. While many others were discharged and acquitted. The magistrates work round the clock to ensure that all cases are dispensed with, hence the need for no one to distract or stampede them”.