Get Latest Tori News Alert!
Enter your email below.

Delivered by FeedBurner

Hot Stories
Recent Stories

How A Make-Up Artist Got Assaulted By FCT Police Officers For Breaching Curfew

Posted by Samuel on Wed 20th May, 2020 -

The 35-year-old stated that she was brutalised by four policemen outside her shop in the Seriti community, Abuja, where she also lives.

make-up artist assaulted

File photo

A make-up artist, Mrs Ayoola Oresanya, has accused policemen from the Kabusa Police Station of assaulting her for allegedly violating the curfew in the Federal Capital Territory.

The 35-year-old stated that she was brutalised by four policemen outside her shop in the Seriti community, Abuja, where she also lives.

Narrating her ordeal to PUNCH Metro on Tuesday, Oresanya explained that she had stepped out of her shop to urinate and was about locking the door when the policemen accosted her.

She stated that the policemen ordered her into their patrol van, but she refused because she feared for her life.

Weeping profusely while narrating her experience, the artist stated that the policemen did not inform her of any breach, but dragged her on the ground and beat her.

The mother of two said, “It was around 11.30pm on Monday when I stepped out to urinate, but as I attempted to lock the door behind me, the cops banged hard on the door and prevented me from locking it. They turned out to be four policemen from the Kabusa Police Station.

“They asked me to switch off the television and other appliances, which I did. They asked me to enter their van, but I refused because I was afraid to go with them at that time of the night. They also did not tell me what I did wrong.

“They accused me of being a prostitute and physically assaulted me with sticks. The policemen also injured me in the face.”

Oresanya said she raised the alarm that she was being attacked by thieves, adding that the men left her and went away.

The victim explained that she discovered after the attack that her phone and the sum of N3,000 in her bag were missing and in the morning, she reported the assault to the Kabusa Divisional Police Officer, CSP Charles  Onoh, who reportedly berated her.

“The DPO simply said I should take care of myself; he said the policemen who attacked me could not have stolen my phone and money,” Oresanya stated.

But Onoh denied that the complainant was beaten up, adding that she was found selling fuel in breach of the curfew, adding that the policemen merely asked her to close for the night.

“I don’t think she was assaulted; I didn’t see any sign of it. They (policemen) left her after she started rolling on the ground. From what I saw, she was pretending; it was a very minor incident. I told her to go and treat herself and come back later, but I have not seen her since then,”
the DPO explained.

Top Stories
Popular Stories

Stories from this Category
Recent Stories