The presidential candidate of Labour Party, Peter Obi has clarified a statement he made earlier that he would only challenge the process that led to the declaration of Bola Tinubu as the winner of the February 25 presidential polls and not the outcome itself.
The former governor had said in an interview on Arise TV’s ‘The Morning Show’ on Monday, March 13, that he would only challenge the electoral process that saw the Independent National Electoral Commission declare Tinubu as the winner of the presidential election and not the declaration itself.
Obi said: “I’m not challenging who they declared. I’m not challenging whatever…the outcome, I’m challenging the process (through) which they arrived at their declaration.”
He continued: “And unless we do that, we’re not going to stop the rascality we witnessed in that election.
“The process through which people come into office is for me…far more fundamental than what they do thereafter. There is a process of doing things. There is a process of arriving at any destination. Like I said in my press conference, if you’re going to answer ‘His Excellency’, the process of coming to that position must be excellent. If you’re going to be a Bishop, there’s a process of being a Bishop.”
However, on Monday, Obi took to Twitter to make a u-turn, stating that he would challenge both the electoral process and the declaration itself.
He Tweeted: “Following my response to a question while appearing on Arise TV earlier today, I want to state categorically that at the Presidential Elections Tribunal (PET), I am challenging the INEC electoral process that led to the declaration of Tinubu as president-elect as well as the declaration itself.”