Daily News Alert
Enter your email below.





Hot Stories
Recent Stories

Jannik Sinner Pulls Out of US Open With Knee Injury

Posted by Chinenye on Fri 21st Aug, 2026 - tori.ng

World No. 1 Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the US Open after failing to fully recover from a right knee injury, delivering a major blow to the final Grand Slam of the season.


(Jannik Sinner. Photo Credit: CNN)

World No one Jannik Sinner declared on Friday that he will not participate in the US Open, the season's final Grand Slam, due to a right knee injury.

The Italian said in a statement, "Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year."

"After returning to the court in Monte Carlo over the past few days, I've realized that I still need more time to heal from my right knee problem.

The five-time Grand Slam champion withdrew from the US Open warm-up hard court competitions in Cincinnati and Montreal and hasn't played since winning Wimbledon on July 12.

The 24-year-old, who won the US Open in 2024 but lost to Carlos Alcaraz in last year's final, said, "I'm obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart."

"I was really excited to return and perform in front of the amazing crowd in the electrifying environment.

In order to be prepared for the Asian swing and the competitions in Beijing and Shanghai, Sinner will stay in Europe and finish his recuperation.

With an outstanding record of 44 victories against three defeats and six titles, including Wimbledon, Sinner had been ruling the 2026 season.

He was the clear favorite going into the French Open, but after laboring in the heatwave, he crashed out in the second round, which was a huge letdown.

Carlos Alcaraz, his fierce competitor, declared on Thursday that he will compete again at the US Open after missing more than four months due to a wrist injury.



Top Stories


Stories from this Category
Recent Stories