Governor Rotimi Akeredolu
The Ondo State Government on Monday said that it had no plan to return some bags of rice sent to it by the Federal Government as palliatives to the effects of the COVID-19 lockdown in the state.
The state COVID-19 Task Force team had earlier stated that some of the received bags of rice had expired and were separated from the good ones, and maybe returned, subject to the directive of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu.
Speaking on the development, Akeredolu’s Special Adviser on Public and Inter-Governmental Relations, Mrs Olubunmi Ademosu, said there was no plan to return the rice and other food items sent to the state by the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management.
She said, “The state government commended the gesture by the Federal Government towards cushioning the effect of the lockdown on residents of the country. It behooves on us to appreciate the gesture rather than condemning it.
“We must not create another problem while finding a solution to one, we have tested the rice, checked the expiry date and I can confirm to you that the rice is of good quality and good for consumption.”
The state had received 1800 bags of rice in three trailers alongside 700 gallons of vegetable oil last week from the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management as part of the measures to cushion the effect of the COVID-19 lockdown in the state.