The many youths of Olugbobiri community in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of Bayelsa state have staged a protest.
They protested the alleged neglect of their community by an oil firm.
Speaking during the protest on Wednesday, October 13, the leader, Commander Raphael Christopher said himself along with concerned youths of the community have decided to take their destinies into their hands as they can't sit idly by and be impoverished by Nigeria Agip Oil Company (NAOC)
He said their demands are simple but that if not met, it will surely lead to unrest and break down of law and order in the community.
Raphael, who is a foremost freedom fighter laments the fact that the company is the one holding the community ransom and depriving it of the desired development.
He said AGIP has been operating in the community for over 30years extracting oil but has failed woefully in it's social responsibilities to the community.
He said their demands are but not limited to:
1) Piling of the water front of the community saving it from erosion,
2) Sand-filling of the back of the community to enable more development in the community
3) Connect Light directly from the flow-station to enable steady power supply to boost the economy of the community
4) Employment for indigenes of the community,
5) Scholarships for indigenes of the community, etc
Commander Ralph also called on the security agents to stop making themselves willing tools in the hands of the companies to intimidate the community but should rather advise them to do the right thing
He said they are giving till December for this conditions to be met.