The Nigerian Army has made a new disclosure about Boko Haram terrorists.
The army disclosed that over 41,000 of the surrendered terrorists are children who were being trained as future fighters.
Major-General Christopher Musa, the theatre commander of Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK), stated this, adding that a total number of 83,000 Boko Haram members had so far surrendered to the troops of the Nigerian Army.
Speaking on Friday during a visit to Mai Mala Buni, Yobe State governor, Musa said the surrendered terrorists are currently undergoing rehabilitation at various facilities.
“God has been very magnanimous for us, we have received a lot of surrendered individuals. We are moving almost 83, 000 now, out of that number, over 41, 000 are children,” Musa said.
“The terrorists are trying to develop a new set of terrorists, their own children and that would have been very dangerous because you know normally for children when they grow up and whatever they see is what they copy.
“So, if they grow and think killing is natural, they become very dangerous.”
The theatre commander said the military and other security agencies would continue to implement effective strategies to bring terrorism in the region to an end.
“Whatever it takes, whatever it needs for us to have peace; we are determined to achieve that. The chief of army staff has been very, very supportive in all we are doing and that has made our work much, much easier,” he said.