Nigerians have attacked the Nigerian police over a statement it released concerning the clash with IPOB members.
Police arrest IPOB members in Enugu
OPERATIVES ARREST RAMPAGEOUS PROSCRIBED IPOB MEMBERS AND RESCUE A SECURITY OPERATIVE
- CP Warns Acts of Rebellion Will Not be Tolerated in the State
1. Following credible information received on 23/08/2020 at about 0830hrs that suspected members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) numbering over five hundred (500) had gone on rampage, blocking and burning tyres on the road, after abducting Operatives of the Department of State Security (DSS), the Commissioner of Police, CP Ahmad AbdurRahman MCPSS, MCJ, MNIM immediately deployed Operatives of the Command, led by Enugu Metro Area commander, to rescue the adopted Operatives and restore normalcy.
2. On getting to the scene, the Operatives, who were joined by those of DSS, Army and Air Force, came under serious gunfire attacks by the hoodlums. They responded and in the ensuing gun duel, two of the hoodlums were gunned down, while some of them escaped with bullets wounds.
3. The Operatives successfully restored normalcy and rescued one of the DSS Operatives, who were at the said school to disperse the hoodlums from their unlawful assembly, while two (2) others were found lifeless in the scene and later confirmed dead.
4. Five (5) members of the group were arrested and they confessed to being members of the proscribed IPOB, and had gone to the school to hold a meeting and be trained in martial act and self-defense skills. Machetes, cut-to-size woods with nails affixed, phones and other items were recovered at the scene.
5. Meanwhile, before getting to the scene, the hoodlums had macheted and gruesomely killed a young man, set ablaze another, while also attacking Police personnel resident in the area.
6. To this end, the Commissioner, while warning that acts of rebellion by persons and/or groups (including the proscribed IPOB) capable of truncating the peace and tranquility enjoyed in the State will not be tolerated, made it clear that perpetrators will be made to face the full weight of the law.
7. He further warns hospitals and medical service providers against rejecting anyone seeking medical attention from bullet wounds. But they should treat and duly notify the Command of such persons by calling the following hotlines: 08032003702, 08086671202, 08075390883 or 08098880172."
However, Nigerians have faulted the statement saying it doesn't sound true:
"Does this statement make any sense? What the authorities want stupid people to believe is that over 500 IPOB were having a meeting in a school where they are to be trained in martial arts? Lol? Why would anyone be training in martial arts if they are already armed?
Then you claim that armed IPOB abducted a DSS personnel then you arrived to engage in a shoot out with them and rescued the DSS personnel? If this was the speed at which Nigerian Police react, there would be no killer herdsmen in Nigeria
Meanwhile, before you arrived at the scene, IPOB had killed two people for no reason but didnt kill the DSS person you rescued?" someone commented.
"All this lies just to justify the killing of unarmed Youths holding meeting early Hour of sunday morning.
Those that supports evil will surely reap evil. The lies by the Police and DSS are just too much." another added.
"The more the police lies in this manner, the more the attract sympathy to the IPOB victims.
People were having peaceful meetings in their village early Sunday morning, and the govt would do was to deploy Army, Police, Air force, Civil Defense Etc to gun down unarmed civilians in their village.
Meanwhile, your brutal services are needed in Southern Kaduna, Borno and Yobe states were Boko Haram are killing innocent civilians and you guys only run away.
It shall never be well with the killers of those innocent young men.
If the government continues like this, they may force IPOB to arm themselves and that will never be good for Nigeria as a country.
Truth is that, no one will see his sibling gruesomely murdered in this way by the Nigeria Security forces and keep quiet.
It becomes an open wound that only revenge can heal.
May we not get to that point in this country." commented another reader.
"In a much as I'm not a fan of some of the activities of IPOB and it's overzealous members, dis story jus doesnt add up.... How com the Police, DSS, Airforce and Navy also barely get intelligence reports of when bandits and herdsmen attack villagers nd their villages in d middlebelt and North?" another added.