The arrested suspects
Four suspected kidnappers have been apprehended by men of the Edo State Police Command who foiled an abduction bid in Benin, the state's capital.
Deputy Police Public Relations Officer of the command, ASP Jennifer Iwegbu, who disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday, September 13, said the suspects; Ayo Jeremiah Obazuwa, 50, Sule Kelson Jubril, 34, Silas Uwana, 33, and Ogbonmwan Jude, 37, were arrested during township surveillance patrol.
According to the PPRO, the suspects abducted one Joseph Bulus from his house and were taking him to an unknown location when they were intercepted.
Iwegbu noted that Obazuwa was in complete military regalia and claimed to be a military captain during his arrest.
"Operatives of Edo State Police Command while on township surveillance patrol on 10/09/2022 at about 1100hrs along Ugbor road, GRA Benin-city, stopped a suspicious Toyota Corolla car with Reg. no USL929SS with five occupants," the statement read.
"On a closer survey of the occupants of the car, One of the suspects who later was identified as Ayo Jeremiah Obazuwa ‘M’ age 50yrs was on complete Military regalia and claimed to be a Military Captain. Another occupant who was later identified as Joseph Bulus ‘M’ 32yrs was seen in handcuffs, which led to all the occupants being brought to State CID for further investigation.
"During the preliminary investigations, the said Ayo Jeremiah Obazuwa confessed to being a civilian and not Military personnel as he earlier stated. The said Joseph Bulus stated that he was in his house when the self-acclaimed Military Captain came in the company of three others, one Sule Kelson Jubril ‘M’ 34yrs, Silas Uwana ‘M’ 33yrs and Ogbonmwan Jude ‘M’ 37yrs under the guise of giving him a job but rather handcuffed him, dragged him into the boot of the car and whisked him away to an unknown location, before he was later removed from the boot and made to sit in the car.''
The Case was charged to court today 12/09/2022 under a six-count charge bordering on;
(1) Conspiracy to commit felony to wit kidnapping punishable under Sec 516 of the Criminal Code Act, Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
(2) Kidnapping, an offence contrary to Sec 2(1) and punishable under Sec 3 of the Kidnapping Prohibition (Amendment) Law of Edo State 2013.
(3) Conspiracy to commit an Offence punishable under Sec 517 of the Criminal Code Act, Cap C38, Vol. II, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
(4) Personation by wearing Camouflage Uniform of Nigeria Military and thereby committed an offence punishable under Sec 109(a) of the Criminal Code Act, Cap C38, Vol. II, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
(5) Conspiracy to commit felony to wit Personating Public Officers and thereby committed an offence punishable under Sec 516 of the Criminal Code Act, Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
(6) False representation of a person under public service and effected the arrest of One Joseph Bulus and thereby committed an offence punishable under Sec 108(2) of the Criminal Code Act, Cap C38, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
The suspects have been remanded in prison custody pending DPP’s advice.
The Commissioner of Police Edo State Command, CP Abutu Yaro, reaffirmed his commitment to serving the good people of Edo State by ensuring that all sleep with their two eyes closed.
He urged the general populace to continue to collaborate with the Force as no complaints would be handled with laxity.