Get Latest Tori News Alert!
Enter your email below.

Delivered by FeedBurner





Hot Stories
Recent Stories

No Cause For Alarm – Presidency Dismisses Possible Terror Attacks In Abuja

Posted by Thandiubani on Tue 01st Nov, 2022 - tori.ng

Shehu said the security situation in Nigeria does not warrant travel advisories and terror warnings from the United States (US), the United Kingdom (UK), and other foreign countries.

 
The Presidency has asked Nigerians to go about their normal duties, reassuring that security operatives are on top of their game to secure the country.
 
This comes after UK and US issued terror alert, saying that terrorists were planning to attack Abuja.
 
The Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, gave the reassurance in an interview with The Punch on Monday.
 
Shehu said the security situation in Nigeria does not warrant travel advisories and terror warnings from the United States (US), the United Kingdom (UK), and other foreign countries.
 
The presidential spokesman said Buhari’s assurance to Nigerians remained firm and would continue to ensure that the country is safe for all.
 
He said, “We had a security council meeting today. The NIA and CDS Lucky Irabor addressed the media after the security meeting. Most importantly, the President has addressed the issue and assured Nigerians already.”
 
This comes hours after the National Security Adviser, Maj Gen Babagana Monguno (retd.) said Nigerians are not in danger and there was no imminent attack on Abuja.
 
Monguno said this on Monday after the emergency meeting of the National Security Council summoned by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
 
The NSA said any exaggerated sense of insecurity, any hype about the disintegration of our security forces, and intelligence agencies is unfounded.
 
He, therefore, advised Nigerians to go about their lives, adding that the security agencies are putting measures in place to forestall any attack.
 
He stated, “We just concluded a sitting, an emergency meeting of the National Security Council, which was held at the behest of Mr President. We have just concluded the meeting and the meeting basically, was to discuss recent happenings within the FCT and certain declarations and alerts coming from various quarters, insinuating growing insecurity and threat to security within the FCT and environments.
 
“In rounding off, I will like to first and foremost, assure all the citizens of this country that any exaggerated sense of insecurity, any hype about the disintegration of our security forces, and intelligence agencies, is unfounded. I want to assure Nigerians that so far, the situation has been under control, and the intelligence and security agencies have made a lot of arrests. They are evaluating and exploiting all the materials in their possession.’’
 
Speaking further, Monguno said, “We are not in the habit of disclosing whatever has been done but the most important thing is that from the time this story started emerging until now, about a week to 10 days, you can see that so far the situation has been brought under control.
 
“The issue of Nigerians being made to panic is unnecessary. The situation in various areas of the Federal Capital Territory, the situation has been brought under control and we’re trying as much as possible to work with our neighbours and within the domestic situation, to work with our foreign partners responsibly, without giving the impression that Nigeria is skating on thin ice and we are about to implode; that I will want to dispel any illusion about any heightened sense of insecurity.
 
‘’It is false, it is irresponsible for anybody to give that signal. We are working with our foreign partners in a responsible way and Nigerians should go about their normal daily undertakings without being put in a situation of fear.”
 


Top Stories
Popular Stories


Stories from this Category
Recent Stories