According to a report by Daily Star UK, a baby has died after ingesting cocaine as the 4-month-old's teenage parents were arrested for murder, police have said.
The unnamed child of Brady Wearn, 18 and Mary Bedenbaugh, 17, died after being found not breathing and unresponsive at home before being rushed to hospital where they were later pronounced dead.
Wearn and Bedenbaugh have both been charged with murder following the child's death in the town of Prosperity, South Carolina, on May 2.
The pair also face charges of unlawful conduct toward a child.
According to the Newberry County Sheriff’s Office, toxicology reports have since revealed the unnamed baby had cocaine in both their body and feeding bottles.
A screening of the parents found that as well as cocaine, other drugs including fentanyl and marijuana was traced in Wearn and Bedenbaugh's systems, NYPost reports.
Newberry County Coroner Laura Kneece, has ruled the manner of the infant’s death a homicide.
Officials say the infant died due to, “sudden unexpected infant death associated with recent cocaine ingestion”.
Coroner Kneece said: “These cases are very difficult and emotional from the start with an infant being involved. It takes multiple agency cooperation from the beginning.
"I am very proud of the dedication of all agencies involved and how effortless it is was for everyone to work together,” Wis10 reports.
Sheriff Foster said: “These are very difficult and time-consuming cases that Investigators have to sort through, and we have to wait for testing on items, which takes a few weeks.
“This is exactly why we take drug enforcement so seriously. Drug use and abuse are not victimless crimes.”
Source: Daily Star UK